The Rockford Fosgate P3 12 Dual 4ohm is without a doubt the best preforming 12 inch subwoofer in the entire Punch series if you ask me.
As a car audio installer you install about 3 of these a week whether or not your shop sells them, and for good reason. They make a 2 and 4 ohm dual coil model both at the same power level (600 watts rms) with (1200 watts peak), to maintain safe use but allow different amps to run them.
Rockford Fosgate P3 12 Inch Subwoofer Review – Specs
- custom nickel plated terminals 10-AWG
- 2 linear spiders with custom 16 AWG tinsel leads
- bigger pole piece and bumped and vented back-plate
- High-temperature resistant voice coil with spun and laced Nomex® re-enforcement collar
- Anodized aluminum cone and dustcap
- Protective PVC textured magnet cover for protection
- Diamond cut and aluminum trim ring with removable grille
- StampCast basket and spider venting
Rockford Fosgate P3 12 Installation Tips
The Ideal Rockford Fosgate P3 12 Set up would be 2 p3’s, a 1200 watt rms 2 channel amp, 4 gauge amplifier wiring kit and a ported MDF dual sub enclosure. This is a go to set up for most of my customers that are starting their journey into competition car audio systems.
I generally run 10 gauge wire both from the amp to the box and inside the box to the woofers for maximum sound reproduction.
Another thing I like to do is remove the ring terminal or speaker terminal connection inside the sub box and solder that new 10 gauge wire for a more secure connection with less distortion and chance of failure.
- How to install a subwoofer
- How to install an Amplifier
- What kind of subwoofer box should I get?
- What amplifier wiring kit do I need?
Rockford Fosgate P3 12 Installation Requirements
As I mentioned earlier the Rockford Fosgate P3 12’s come in 2 different impedance levels, (2ohm or 4ohm). The resistance of the subwoofer will dictate which amplifier and wiring configuration you can use.
Generally my clients purchase the dual 4 ohm stable Rockford Fosgate P3 12 and I wire them up at 4 ohms to a two channel amp or 2 ohms at a mono block amp.
A standard MDF box, 4 gauge/awg amp kit, 1200watt amp and a dual ported 12 inch sub box is generally my go to package for clients that want strong bass.
I’ve taken the time to create an amplifier installation guide you can use when you purchase your set up with a list of tools you need and tips that we use here at our pro shop!
Connecting The Rockford Fosgate P3 12 With A Rockford Fosgate Amplifier
Mount the amplifier in an open space where air can pass over it regularly because Rockford fosgate amplifiers tend to get hot because of the high amounts of current they deal with on a day to day.
You also should try not to mount the amp to the chassis of the vehicle, some of the fosgate 2 channels that ive installed would use the screw holes as grounds even when the amp ground terminal was properly connected to a ground resulting in engine whine.
If you must mount A fosgate amp to the chassis use s small amount of carpeting, MDF or ABS plastic in between the head of the screw and the amps screw holes to avoid any issues.
The Fosgate amp that ive recommended previously in this review has never given me any grounding or heat issues anytime ive ever used it so i would highly recommend it! I will make a list of the reliable Fosgate amp and everything else I use to create systems for my clients below:
- 2 Rockford Fosgate p3 12 inch subwoofers in loaded enclosure (Subs and Box included)
- Rockford Fosgate amplifier (1200 watts rms)
- Amplifier wiring kit (4 Gauge/4 Awg)