HOW TO INSTALL CAR SPEAKERS
HOW TO INSTALL CAR SPEAKERS – What tools will I need?
When installing new car speakers its important to have the proper tools available in order to properly install your speakers without braking any factory parts on your vehicle. While most of the tools you’ll need will be dependent upon the vehicle you are working on there are some tools that make every install easier and will be used for almost every install. You should have these tools readily available if you would like to install car audio products yourself. I made a list of my own personal tools that I use on almost every car audio install I preform.
- Evertrust Panel Removal Tool Set
- ATD Tools Pick set
- GB Electrical wire crimping tool
- Wire Stripping tool
- 3M Electrical Tape
HOW TO INSTALL CAR SPEAKERS – REMOVING DOOR PANELS
Removing the door panels on your vehicle will be the hardest part of your install and because all vehicles require different tools and removal techniques, so Its difficult to guide you 100% on your particular vehicle. Over the years I’ve learned a few bits of knowledge that I take from vehicle to vehicle and I’ve not been wrong yet.
- Feel around the door panel for any screws.
- remove all screws and bolts from door panel.
- Now look for hidden screws in the door panels. (might be hidden by plastic covering)
- After all screws are taken out make a mental not of all the screw hole locations.
- Use the panel tool to gently yet firmly pry between the edge of the door panel and the metal door frame.
- As you pry up you’ll notice the door panel popping up from the metal door frame.
- After the door panel is completely popped off of the door frame remove all electrical connectors.
- When removing the electrical harness they all have a press release tab but may possibly require a pick tool to press the release tab.
- remove door panel and start un-bolting the old speaker from the door.
- The speaker wiring harness will generally have a factory press release tab, press down on tab and release.
- If you are removing after market speakers you will have to remove the wires from each terminal on the speaker.
- While door panels and electrical connectors are disconnected do not start your vehicle.
HOW TO INSTALL CAR SPEAKERS – INSTALLING NEW SPEAKER
If you are installing an aftermarket speaker it is advised that you purchase speaker harness adapters for your specific vehicle, We can find them as well as any other vehicle specific part you may need if you’d like. If you would rather use the speaker wire provided in the box with your speakers you will have to find a wiring diagram for your vehicle in in order to determine which wire is negative and which wire is positive on the harness you have disconnected from your old speaker.
If you have already found out which wire is neg and which wire is pos you can cut the harness off and strip the bare wire, after the wire is stripped you will then connect the speaker wire that came with your new speakers onto the corresponding factory wire. Keep in mind, the wiring that came with your new speaker is already color coded and more than likely it is coded as (white is +, white/black is -).
Now connect the wiring to the speaker by pushing the bigger terminal of the wire harness on the bigger terminal on the new speaker and the smaller wire terminal from the harness onto the smaller terminal on the speaker. Now you can mount your new speaker onto the door where the old speaker was previously mounted.
HOW TO INSTALL CAR SPEAKERS – FINISHING UP
After installing all of your speakers make sure all of your window switches and door locks work. After your door panels are mounted back and you test all of your door switches you can test your speakers and see how they sound, If you notice your music isn’t centered in the vehicle like it was before the installation this may mean that you have a negative and or positive wire switched in the door panel.